- SoCoCAN operates on a consensus model. If consensus cannot be reached supermajority (70-80% agreement) is used.
- To be a participating member review our Common Ground Statement and attend meetings.
Adopt One Campaign
SoCoCAN Spokes Council Structure
- The Spokes Council consists of any member in attendance at a meeting.
- Organizations are requested to send at least of one person to represent their group at SoCoCAN! meetings.
- All attendees are encouraged to speak and participate. Each person gives a 1-2 minute report on organizational updates and needs. Unaffiliated members can share a personal climate action related update.
- The network adopts one campaign to support between meetings.
- Campaign proposals are submitted as separate agenda items, to give additional time for discussion and the consensus process.
- At the discretion of the facilitator participation in discussions can be limited to one person per organization. This format is suggested to be used as needed to streamline our decision-making process, and to avoid an organization with multiple participants dominating the discussion.
- When participation is limited to one person per group, unaffiliated individuals can form a kind of affinity group at the meeting and choose one person to represent them.
- The work of organizing the meeting is divided among members. Facilitation and note taking are rotated.
- Meeting agenda and reminders are shared via the email listserv one week prior to the meeting.
- Call for agenda items may be sent out two weeks prior to the meeting.
The SoCoCAN! listserv is our central communication body. The purpose is to provide networking opportunities between climate activist groups and individuals. It is a place to share announcements, information, and to elicit support for climate activism.
- Address all posts to the entire listserv and not to individuals. Posts aimed for individuals can be sent to them privately. Discussions are encouraged if they include everyone. Ongoing discussions between individuals are requested to be off list.
- Use clear and consistent subject line titles so that people can choose which posts they wish to read.
- The listserv is "family friendly". Only submit posts that are suitable for people of all ages.
- Flaming and derogatory posts, publicly and privately, will result in moderation and possible removal from the list. Complaints can be sent to SonomaCountyCAN@gmail.com.
- Be respectful. We may not always agree. If conflict or disagreements occur address the content not the person.
- With an understanding that we are all busy people keep in mind that long emails will be read by fewer people. To reduce volume of emails consider switching to the digest version for one daily email with all the posts from that day. Instructions for changing your preferences are posted at the bottom of every email.